Saturday, February 9, 2008


We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our
thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
Speak or act with an impure mind
And trouble will follow you.
As the wheel follows the ox that draws
the cart.

We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our
thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
Speak or act with a pure mind
And happiness will follow you
As your shaddow, unshakable.

The Dhammapada



In my study of Buddhism over the years, I've read that every occurance in out lives, every person we meet and interact with, is an oppurtunity to learn the Dharma. This morning, I've had a great learning moment, a chance to encounter the reality of the Dharma as it opperates in my life.

This past week, I've been feigning illness to avoid "hanging out" with a certain young man that I just really don't care to assiciate with. It's not that he's a bad person, or that he has any really negative characteristics. He likes me, and wants intimacy and romance with me...at the least friendship and constant contact. For my part, I'm simply not interested. It doesn't make be "bad," it's something I don't want in my life at the moment. It just doesn't feel right. So, in my delusional reasoning, I chose to be "kind" to him by lying to him and avoiding telling him the truth. Avoidance seems to be a recurring theme in my life.

So...gues what? I woke up sick this morning, with the same symptoms I'd been faking all week. Coincidence? I don't think so. I am experiencing the reality that I had created with my own words. It's not that I'm being punished by the Buddha....I'm not being disciplined or chastised at all. I'm simiply experiencing the concrete effect that I created the cause for....Karma.

This struck a chord with me this morning, and I searched through some of the Buddhist scriptures, and found the above teaching delivered by the Buddha.

There is a concept in Buddhism which states that our mind and bodies are one, and that our environment is a direct manifestation of what's going on inwardly and spiritually. We are always so careless with the words we casually throw about all day. Western thought simply doesn't grasp this as a common fact. So...what did I learn? I saw evidence of a truth I professed and believed theoreticly. I was able to internalize it...to see the true workings of Karma in my life.

So, as I go about my day, I am going to strive to be more conscious of the reality I am second by second creating. I can choose to speak blessings or curses into my reality. It's our choice...to experience the bounty of the universe, whether we recognize the divinely simple truth inherent in our own lives or not.

Namu Amida Butsu

No comments: